Selling DVDs Requires Extra Attention To Detail Before Shipping Them Off To Customers

I posted recently of a nice stash of unopened and good used DVDs I uncovered at a library book sale (here's the link to that post). I picked up the whole stack of DVDs plus some paperback books in very good condition for the low, low price of only $3 for a stuffed-full plastic Wal-Mart bag. Here's a picture of the DVDs I found in just a few minutes scouting at the library book sale:

So far 3 of the DVDs have sold on Ebay (Amazon makes it nearly impossible to sell DVDs on their marketplace platform anymore, owing to their battle with video, textbook and music counterfeiters). You have to be "ungated" to sell in many of their marketplaces these days, and DVDs simply tend to sell better now by listing them on Ebay.

I often bundle similar DVD or CD titles into a lot (here's one such bundle that sold not long ago for $35.00)...

... but the DVDs I picked up were specific sport coaching instructional videos with good rankings and price history. The majority were in their original clear protective plastic wrap. The rest were very good condition, as if they'd never been cracked open after the plastic wrap had been removed.

So I decided to list them separately. Since Ebay gives me 50 free auction or 30-day 'Buy It Now' listings each month, I used those free listings to post a photo and short write-up of each DVD.

In short order three of the DVDs sold.

But, when I went to ship them, I realized that my regular method of shipping them in a plain padded envelope -- like I do for all my paperback shipments -- was way too risky to the flimsy plastic DVD cases.

If I wanted to ensure that the product arrived in satisfactory condition to the customer's home, I knew I'd need to pay special attention to the shipping packaging before sending them out by USPS Media Mail.

Here are some photos of the steps I follow now to properly prepare DVD orders for shipment:

First, take a small cardboard box. This one had the sizes that fit the DVD case almost perfectly:

Trim off one end, and fit the DVD case at one edge:

Place the DVD case at one edge. Then trim the cardboard to be just slightly longer than the case:

Take your exacto knife and carefully carve a 3/8" slice to allow the flaps of the cardboard to fold snugly around the DVD case:

Now tape the cardboard shut (and tape your packing slip onto the packaging to keep orders from getting mixed up). This will keep the DVD firmly in place, protecting the case, and providing additional stability to the packaging:

Insert into a padded shipping envelope (choose one that is just slightly larger than the cardboard-wrapped DVD case to keep it from sliding around inside the envelope). Important reminder.... it's always a good idea at this point to have your padded-envelope pre-addressed and check that the correct DVD is being shipped to the correct customer. Once you've wrapped cardboard around the case, it's best to follow all the way through with getting it into the right envelope:

Final step.... use your tape gun to seal the edge shut tightly. Yes, these padded envelopes have a pull-off self-adhesive strip; but adding an extra level of security to the shipping package is always a good idea:

Presto! This extra attention to detail practically guarantees that your customer will be delighted with his or her order. Ebay buyers tend to leave extra nice feedback for me when they receive their items packaged with care. Plus, I can rest easy, certain that I've done just about all I can to under-promise and over-deliver for customer service.

Yes, it does take some additional time to prep shipments this way.

But I think it's worth it to make the customer happy.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on packaging orders. Please leave comments to this post, and share what works for you.