Bought Old Magazine for 6 Cents.... Sold for $8.99

About 5 months ago I reported how I had uncovered a large lot of good quality cooking magazines at a yard sale. I bought the whole kit and kaboodle for $5. I listed one copy of Saveur magazine in early Oct. 2013, and that copy sold just the other day for $8.99. As I noted at the time, if I sold just one copy, I'd likely pay for the entire lot of magazines with just that one sale. And that prediction came true!

Like I mentioned in that earlier blog post, it pays to keep an eye out for vintage magazines. There were 81 magazines in excellent condition in that box I purchased for $5. That breaks down to about 6 cents each. Now, I'm sure most people think "vintage" means turn of the century magazines. But these magazines were all dated mid-1990s. The copy that sold was dated Summer of 1995. But the condition was excellent. Here is the proof that this copy sold, showing what it sold for:

Imagine if you could do the same. Hey... you can! You can find like magazines for sale at yard sales and in thrift stores in the town you live in. I don't know if they'll be selling for 6 cents each. At some places they give them away. In any case, I have made it a practice now to check all the selling prices on magazines I find when I'm sourcing inventory. Some magazines really sell well. It is important to remember that different people have different reasons for buying old magazines. Some like to collect celebrities on the cover; others like to collect unique content (recipes, step-by-step instructions, photos); still others like to complete their set of magazine back issues. It is also worthwhile to keep in mind that "lots" of magazines often sell better than individual copies. Buyers appreciate paying one low rate on their purchase. On the other hand, you never know what will sell until you try!


No comments:

Post a Comment